Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Picture Books (for school)


In every family, there is always at least one person that you just cannot stand. Every single family has at least one. Don't deny it either. For me, that person is the Gremlin, my nephew. there are many, many, many reasons I did not like that....child? (child is the kindest term i can use.) but that is not why I am blogging this. this is for school, about picture books and what they mean to us. so, the point is how I despised this child, and how three little kittens started to change that.

so, to explain, I love to collect the random-est old things. So one day I was in an antique shop, and my eyes fell across that little book. It was only a dollar, so, naturally, I bought it, and put it on my shelf never to be read for it was very old. so, one of the times that the gremlin came over, he got into my room, (after unlawfully sneaking into my room to annoy me
because he's not supposed to be in there!)I caught him in there, and was about to chase him out, when he held it up.

I froze. "Gremlin, put. the. book. DOWN." I said. "Read." he said. at the time, he was too young to read on his own. "No." "Read." "No." "RE-AD!!!!" "NO!" "READ READ READ READ READ READ!!!!" "FINE!!" so, I read to the gremlin.

"Three little kittens lost their mittens, and they began to cry. "O mother dear,
We very much fear that we have lost our mittens." " Lost your mittens! You naughty kittens. Then you shall have no pie Mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow. No, you shall have no pie Mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow." these first lines I read quite monotone-Ly, as I was bored and wanted my vintage book back. "Read better." so I had to reread the lines. "Three little kittens..." and so on. I only wanted to get my book back!


I finished with; "The three little kittens washed their mittens, and hung them out to dry. 'O mother dear, Do not you hear, that we have washed our mittens?' 'Washed your mittens! O, you're good kittens. But I smell a rat close by! Hush! hush! 'mee-ow, mee-ow. We smell a rat close by, Mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow." by the time I finished with these words, Gremlin was sleepy, and he looked up at me, his head resting on my shoulder. "AunieJilly?" (he says it all as one word) "Yes?" "You need to read better next time." "Okay." then he fell asleep. at the time, I was only trying o get my book back as quickly as possible. but, that story became his favorite, and now every time I see him, he'll always ask if I brought it, or if I can read it to him, even though he can read on his own, ( a newly acquired trick). he had me read it because, and I quote. " you has nice voice." me? the one with the witch's cackle? that just hit me right there. * pats spot over heart* 

I mean, we still don't get along sometimes, and we'll be the two stereo-typical kids. "Mom! he's hitting me!" "Grandma! she's not sharing!" followed by arguing and possible pinching and hitting. but he always hugs me first when we meet, and although he has the mind of a teenage boy in a six year old body, (yes, I know)he and I always have this bond, which is strongest when I read to him. he is still a gremlin, but he is my nephew, and I love him, even though sometimes I can't stand him. ( plus I get a loyal minion!)

I have many picture books I love from my childhood, such as Laura's Star, The Most Thankful Thing, Wild About Books, The Unicorn and the Lake, Love You Forever, Stellaluna, and the Snow Princess, plus many giant books of Disney stories. But the three little kittens have had one of the greatest impacts on my familial life. Gremlin and I are closer than ever, thanks to Three Little Kittens!   

 Books I grew up with:
  • Three Little Kittens
  • Laura's Star - Klaus Baugart
  • The Most Thankful Thing - Lisa McCourt
  • The Unicorn and the lake - Marianna Mayer
  • Stellaluna - Janell Cannon
  • Love you forever - Robert Munsch
  • Wild about books - Judy Sierra
  • The Snow Princess - Ruth Sanderson 
  • Disney Princess Treasury
  • Disney Children's Classics
  • Calvin and Hobbs 
Word Count: 756   
 
  

3 comments:

  1. This is FANTASTIC! I LOVE how you introduced your topic-- I was hooked from the start! :-) The Three Little Kittens was a fave of mine when I was little, and I can't tell you how many times I read Stellaluna to my daughter when she was tiny. I especially liked your descriptions of "gremlin" and how the story influenced your relationship... excellent writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you started off this blog post & how you put some sentences from the book into it. I also loved how you put a picture of the book.

    ReplyDelete